| Fall 2008: Lucy and I walking in a forest near Schenectady |
Since the rainy season began, I have been walking through Nahuala, looking at the surroundings and how everything is changing with the corn shooting up and the mountains getting greener. I notice as well the heavy muddy streams make their way down the mountains and into the roadways, washing tons of topsoil into the rivers and lakes of Guatemala. As more and more trees get cut from surrounding mountains I wonder how sustainable this lifestyle is. Before I place judgement on my Maya friends, who, afterall are only doing their best to survive in tough conditions., I think of America and our own patterns of consumption. All of this makes me want to live differently, consume less, appreciate the beauty that still exists in this world before it is gone. I don´t know where this journey will take me, but I am looking to start --mostly because I want my own kids to live in a better world than the one I lived in. From an early age, the wilderness has appealed the better angles of my nature. This summer, I want to embrace that more and find ways to live more appropriately in the world we call home. I will tell you how it goes.
1 comment:
I dont think you have to always keep it cute! Serious posts are allowed! However, the teeny tiny type and cheesy sunset background.. make it difficult to read! :)
Post a Comment