Sunday, November 14, 2010

"Hot"-emala? I think not!

While we were still in NY, a friend of ours was coveting one of John's coats and told him he should just give it to him since John wouldn't need it in "Hot-emala". HA! I think not! Cold-emala would be more appropriate. Although, for those of you suffering through a North East winter, this would be welcomed I'm sure. :) I'm not sad about missing a winter in Albany. Anyway, why is a country so south of the border hitting 40 degrees at night and only 60's during the day? Check out this view:
That's right we're in the mountains, thousands of feet up, cold follows altitude. Nice view, huh? So, that's why all the pictures you'll see are of us all bundled up--no indoor heating either, except for...look at the picture after the one of my cute babies reading together...
That's right, our fireplace/"stove top". I actually like cooking over the fire except for the fact that I haven't really gotten the hang of how to keep the flame at the same temperature throughout the cooking process. It's a feat of multi-tasking that I haven't mastered yet. All of a sudden my eggs just stop cooking and I stand there wondering what's gone wrong...ah, the fire's out, that could be the trouble!
Here's the entrance to our kitchen:
And here's a pic of us playing doctor and you can see the hole where we put the wood to light the fire we cook over.
Just a little proof of the chilliness here. And boy do we get chastised if we don't have hats on our kids.
This is part of our patio area in front of the kitchen. In the upper right is the way to the "pila"--the deep sink that we wash up at and wash our dishes in.

3 comments:

Brian and Ezinne's World said...

Wow becky you guys are amazingly brave. I donʻt know what I would do if i had to cook over an open flame and I couldnʻt control the temperature I was cooking at. So Iʻm curious what are the staple foods that you guys eat there?

ACWIZ said...

Way to go girl. You are a chip off the old block. I should have taken you camping more. That is my old block. Certainly not your Mother's for the adventurist qualities you have. You certainly got her sweet parts and not mine. It is great to see the pictures and the comments. Love all of you so much

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys are having alot of fun! Glad your feeling better in your second trimester, Becky! Its is definetly cold here in Albany and we are waiitng for our first snow. We totally miss you guys, especially Monty. Love seeing all your pics and reading about your adventures. Enjoy!