Wondering what food we are eating?? Well, we still have some Italian-American staples, mainly for two reasons (1) we crave carbs and tomato in beautiful combinations, and (2) because our Guatemalan friends want to try things like lasagna, pizza, etc.
Other than that, I've been relying on my time in Mexico and with Mexican's in LA. Some of the things I've been making are...
1. Empanadas (like a fried homemade hot pocket)
2. Burritos
3. Mexican Rice
4. Homemade Guacamole and Salsa
5. Guisado (a kind of stove-top cassarole)
6. Tostadas
7. Lime Tea (we have a lime tree so we pick the leaves and boil them to make tea--so good. You can do that with orange/grapefruit/lemon leaves too, yummy).
8. Refried Beans
9. Milanesa (thinly sliced chicken, breaded and pan fried. Serve with tortillas, salsa, and lime).
Other stuff we're munching on...
1. Fried Plantains
2. Broccoli, Cauliflower, Tomatoes
3. Spaghetti
4. Boxed Mac n' cheese
5. Nutella--I love nutella, probably because Ferrer Rocher's are my favorite candies.
6. Corn flakes mixed with fruit flavored yogurt (tasty, you should try it).
7. Pineapple, apples, mandarine oranges, watermelon, peaches (I buy all this at the outdoor market and the peaches and apples have "product of USA" stickers on them. Ironic that I came to Guate to buy American fruit. The kids won't eat the oranges and the pineapple and watermelon are a little expensive, for here I mean).
8. Pancakes, eggs, french toast
9. Fried Chicken (that's a local specialty that they make really well) and French Fries
So, any dietician friends of mine have any comments on if we're eating a balanced diet? Even if it isn't, we've been really enjoying our food here.
2 comments:
You are making me hungry. You got the In-Law apartment ready. We just ate at Pio Pio. I love their food. We especially love you guys.
The food sounds really good and all the friends that you've made is nice to hear.
Post a Comment