1. Provide a week of temporary housing for free
2. baby sit children
3. help with house repairs, make our wash machine available
4. cook numerous meals
5. dontate kitchen ware and furniture
6. pick up house supplies and groceries
7. invite them to numerous social activities
8. And a bunch of other things I forgot to list.
Given our collevitive mormon upbringing we would both like to think we would be willing to do most of those things, but there would probably come a point where it would seem really difficult, we would want our space, and we would start complaining. Even considering our own cultural and religious backgrounds, this has been overwhelming. We are truly doing our best to be good self-sufficient Mormon types with plans to go on our own, but we are finding it difficult to avoid complete dependence on the generosity of our friends. So we spend a lot of our time thinking of ways to reciprocate all of this good will but our friends have been keeping us very much in their debt. It is amazing how many things I don't know how to do that people here are very capable of: basic electrical work, masonry, carpentry, cooking over a wood stove, plumbing, etc. Skills that our generation is embarrissingly deficient in, at least I am. While Guatemala is currently dealing with a myriad of political and economic problems, I am amazed at how resiliant people are despite and perhaps because of many of the challenges that they face.
Anyway, things are going good so far. Of course there are challenges and in many ways I knew what to expect coming here. I am hoping my project will run smoothly and that my K'iche' will approach fluency sooner rather than later. This time of year people celebrate All Saints Day (similar to Mexico's Dia de los Muertos) and are currently hosting graduations. Here are some pictures I took from the cemetary.
This is the altar in the cemetary where Maya day keepers or Aq'ijaab' pray to their ancestors and give offerings of candles, sugar, and liqour. Unlike other Maya communities, the activities of these ritual specialists in Nahuala are fairly limited and tend to go on underground.
This is a picture from the cemetary where people decorate their relatives' graves. It is a bit of a carnival atmosphere, and the kites (which you can't quite see) are flown in the cemetary to call the spirits of the dead from heaven. During the day a mass is held in the cemetary where all of the people who died that year in the town are mentioned.
It has been a pretty eventful week! I promise that the kids are doing all kinds of cute things and we will probably put more pictures of them on here when we can. Like Becky mentioned it is a pain to download images. But hopefully this was of some interest to you. Keep in touch with us and we will do our best to do the same. I know what you are all asking though, "What! no pictures of Becky and the kids?!" So here is one of them waiting for me get a car to pick them up on our way to Nahuala, the kids didn't quite make it. I can't tell you how grateful I am to be married to someone who is willing to share in this adventure with me. Becky and the kids have been real troopers. I promise there will be more to come. Cha' bej chik'!
No comments:
Post a Comment