Thursday, July 22, 2010

Utz kinwil le Iximulew!

As you may already know, recent events have brought me back to Guatemala. Guatemala is a beautiful place, tragically beautiful sometimes. A quick Google news search will enlighten you on its many political, social and economic problems. It also tends to be inconvenient for the average Gringo: rainy summers, garbage, diesel fuel, fleas, etc. Why do I keep going back you might ask? Really cool people. I can't seem to explain any other reason for coming here. I am lonely without the family, but I would be much more lonely if the people I have met here weren't so kind and willing to open up their home to me. I couldn't be luckier with the awesome friends I have made in Nahuala, Ixtahuacan and elsewhere in Guatemala. People that have helped me grow in so many ways. Here are some recent pictures. Enjoy!



Sandra, partner in crime and a mean UNO player. She also is good at correcting my K'iche'.

Manuela serving me up some delicious caldo (beef soup).

This is Julia, she is really good at being nice and is a great cook and mother. Mind you this is a patriarchal society, but there is a pretty fair distribution of labor. In many ways I feel like a spoiled 10 year old when I am here. My meals get brought to me, and if I need to leave someone always has to accompany me at night.

This was by far the best shot of the evening. Cruz looks a bit like a Maya Humphrey Bogart here. He sells textiles in the market.


This is the Grandson Nelson. Check out those ears!


A candid moment of cake eating.


Happy Birthday Julia!

Manuel our K'iche' Teacher


Two Smart U Chicago guys, Chris, Perry and myself.







2 comments:

Mindy said...

Manuela--is she a brother to Juan (can't remember his last name right now, maybe Sac) she sells textiles, Juan has a loom he works at his home down by the old bishop's house. Let me know mindy dot mclane at gmail. Thanks! Tiox che we.

Mindy said...

Actually his last name was Carrillo Tambriz.
It's been a long time since I stayed there...summer 2001 Independent Field Study.