Friday, July 9, 2010

The Only Living Boy in Gautemala


The rain patters steadily on my tin roof. It has been particularly rainy this summer in Guatemala so don't let that picture fool you. I would say average temperature is around 55. I have had some nice days though. Trying to learn K'iche', getting a research project started, writing grants, writing papers. I am busy, but still seem to have time to be lonely. This usually happens at night. At home. I like the feeling of knowing that the kids are safe in bed and that Becky is there, and every thing is still. One of the biggest rewards of a parent is to watch their child while sleeping. I can't tell you how peaceful that feeling is. When I was younger, I romanticized travel quite a bit. I wanted to see the far off places, to understand life and the way people go about their day in ways that were different than what I grew up with. Remarkably, the more I travel, the more I seek a sense of permanence, of not flitting here and there. To find a place in the world, in a word, to find home and hold on to it.

That is not to say that I don't feel at home in Guatemala. In many ways I feel more at home with the people here than I do with Americans. While people in Nahuala are in many ways just as modern these days as people in the states, there still exists with most families a sense of place, a routine rooted in your town, and a permanence that we have lost in America, if we ever had it.
Guatemala for better or worse inspires the idea of the exotic. Maya temples, 2012 doomsday scenarios, alien aided construction; all of which are mostly ethnocentric and without any merit. However, what seems to keep me coming back is that I have shared meals with people here, laughed with them, and in many ways developed a world view that is more ample and comprehensive than what I would have had, had I not come here. That is me speaking subjectively of course.
So enough serious stuff. I am doing well. I was able to attend a conference here in Gautemala on the Popol Wuj. If you want to know what it is check this site out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popol_Wuj
Anyway, I am living with a really great family here and am looking forward to having everyone here. It should be quite an adventure. Right now I need to get to sleep. People here wake up early. Here is a list of some cool phrases you might want to use if you ever go to K'iche' land in Guatemala:
La utz awach?: how are you, literally is your countenance good
Saqarik: good morning
Xb'e' q'ij: good afternoon
Jawi kat pe wi? where are you from
matzaqik!: don't fall
Kax nu pam: my stomach hurts
xinojik: I am full
Kin kosik: I am tired
xoqaq'ab: good night

So xoqaq'ab! I will see you all soon, if not keep in touch!

No comments: