So...I just recently started doing this blog thing. It's nice for long lost friends to get reconnected with us. As I write this though I wonder if time in front of the computer is a fair trade-off for our kids and for the quality of life in general. I have a job which keeps me in front of the computer more than I would like. I remember when computers first came out before internet. As a kid, I remember my nerdy friends playing RPGing for hours killing orcs and dark elves and stuff. I was never one of those kids. The computer was strictly business for me. If I wanted to vegetate I would watch hours of ESPN and Magnum PI with my dad. Now those days are gone and I have found that the computer has replaced TV and other things to vegetate in from as well as avoid the real work I should be doing. The problem is that the computer is more isolating than the TV was. When I look at this family blog I am aware of many other things I could tell you about. I read the blogs of my single friends and realize they have much more interesting things to say than what I have in this blog. They are also funny and insightful and talk about political, philosophical or other issues people care about. I would like to write something like that and start a different kind of blog in addition to this one, but I wonder if it is worth the time it could take away from family and other non-commputer related things that are more valuable. Who really would care anyway? I figure that if people want to know about my random thoughts they can give me a call or shoot me an email. As I am typing my daughter is getting into all kinds of mischief while I am sort of half-parenting and half blogging. She really wants my attention. So I am going to post some photos quick and get back to things I should probably put at a higher priority. I think blogging is great, but as I approach the end of the semester, I realize that if I am going to have the kind of life that I believe for myself is worthwhile, then blogging will have to take a back seat. So if my posts are fewer and farther between, I'm sure you will all understand. Besides most of you probably just want to see pictures of cute babies rather than listen to my random thoughts. Lately with the new baby, our little Lucy has been neglected, so I am going to feature her here for you. Lucy is 22 months old. She has been a little trooper with her new brother. So far most our pictures of him have come out with him looking like wrinkly radish. Lucy on the other hand has been doing lots of cute things. So here she is!
*So here Lucy is saying: "So I'm the cutest toddler on this blog, what you gonna do about it?"
4 comments:
John, I love the photos, but honestly, I get right sick of blogs that are just photos. Thanks for your thoughts, yes, I feel like computers can be isolating and time-sucking, but I find that online communities and blogging are good forums for contact and discussion to replace the dieing quilt circles and book clubs. Keep blogging!
I agree! I can't seem to keep up with friends over the phone (I hate phones!) so I love to hear what's going on in friends heads and lives on their blogs. You don't have to spend a ton of time, just a few minutes once a week gives us something. :) Lucy is adorable. Thanks for posting and for being a good dad who wants to spend time with his daughter.
Sorry if that last entry was preachy. I hate it when I get preachy but it is a tendency. WHo is photo girl?
Becky's old roommate Sabrina
Post a Comment