Saturday, January 14, 2012

A little help from my friends

Dear Friends and Family,
As many of you know I have been conducting research of teachers and education in Nahuala, Guatemala for the past month. I will be in Nahuala until October as part of the U.S. Fulbright Scholars Program. Recently one of the high schools in the community wanted to know if I knew of any organizations that supply computers for schools at a reasonable price. I was able to find an organization called Computers for Hope (computersforhope.org) that ships used computers from the U.S. to Guatemala. As a charitable organization they only require the schools to pay about $60-$100 per computer and guarantee those computers for a year. I have been in contact with Donald Livingston, who is the head of the organization, and he has a shipment of approximately 500 computers on its way to Guatemala right now. I have asked the school directors who have requested the computers that they come up with a significant portion of the cost themselves through the parents of participating students. I have told them that I was unsure who of my friends and family can help, but that I was willing to ask. All the money donated goes directly to the purchase and shipment of computers for students. Computers for Hope is a nonprofit organization that provides computers to schools that normally would not be able to afford them. If any of you know similar organizations that work in this area please forward me any useful information. I chose Computers for Hope because they do ask for an investment from the community itself which discourages the paternalistic attitude that other charitable organizations have had in the past.  
I want you all to know that I am aware that for many of you the financial situation is tight and that you may not be currently able to help. There is of course no minimum amount for a donation, even $5 is welcome. If you or any one you know might be willing to collaborate, please pass the word! This is a good cause and provides opportunities for students to learn valuable skills necessary to help them acquire employment in a job market that demands a working knowledge of computers. The business school that has made this request has a current stock of computers that are 10 years old and are no longer adequate for most class work and often are in need of repair. Luckily there are people in Nahuala with expertise in computer software and hardware that have kept the computers running, but the 25 that are semi-working are no longer sufficient.
If you have any questions at all about Computers for Hope, you may contact Don Livingstone: don@computersforhope.org, or you may ask me about any other details. If you would like to donate simply log on to the webiste at computersforhope.org and contribute what you can, please email me the amount so that I can keep track of donations.

I have had an eventful month here in Guatemala as I watch teachers prepare for the upcoming year. A newly elected government will inevitably bring about many changes in Guatemala's Ministry of Education. While I am away Becky has been home busy with the kids. I am coming home in March for a couple of weeks while Becky and the kids are hopefully going to join me in late May. You can catch up with us at edvalsonians.blogspot.com. Please keep in touch, while I am enjoying my time here I always enjoy news from home.
Wishing you all the best this New Year!

No comments: