Lucy has just had another burst of language acquisition and is saying some pretty funny things. Before I get to exactly what she said, can I just say how awesome it is to have conversations with my daughter when just a year and a half ago she was fairly non-verbal? I feel so happy to be able to just talk to her, to be able to enter her little brain and her world through her words. K, now the funny things...
The other night we were talking to John on skype (he was away at a conference in Montreal--which looks like France, why did I spend money to go to France when I could've just gone to Montreal?). Anyway, we couldn't get the sound to work and Lucy said: "mommy, why can't daddy hear us? Is it because he's old?" ...yes, I think that is the reason!
Story #2:
we were at a big box store getting a few odds and ends when the kids catch sight of the toy aisle. Lucy spots the Barbie display and says, "mom, can I have a barbie?" I give the answer I always give about barbies, "no". She of course wants to know why. I try to sidestep it various times but she is more stubborn than I and I realize I'm going to have to give her some sort of answer. So I think, what the heck, I'll tell her the real reason, maybe she'll get it. I say, "look, Lu, you can't have a barbie bc all barbies are about is looks and women are important and amazing for so many other reasons. We're special for our thoughts and our feeling, for our interests and what we like to learn about. We're not just special because of the way we look and barbie doesn't teach you that." Lucy's body seemingly loses half it's strength as it slumps down into a defeated posture and she says, "but, mommy, Barbie's BEAUTIFUL!"
...lesson not learned...try again later...

No comments:
Post a Comment