Friday, October 15, 2010

Less Than a Week to Blast off!


The time to get on that plane and head to Guatemala for almost 10 months is fast approaching. We are asked how we're feeling about it often. It's a mix of excited and nervous. Both John and I have traveled quite a bit, when we were single and twice together when we were married, but never with children in tow...and one in the belly (we're due May 4th--yes, while we're still in Guatemala, oops)!

Having kids with you is where the nervous really factors in, mainly because, although you don't want anything to ever happen to yourself, you'd never forgive yourself if something happened to those little mini-me's. But the reality is that I think we are just as safe in Guatemala as we are in our semi-run down neighborhood in Albany, NY (especially since we will be living in the community where John conducts his research, we have lived there multiple times before, and Maya value friends and family more than most people). So for all of you who are worried about us (that means you too, Mom), know we are in good hands in Nahuala.

I have great aspirations of keeping a regular blog while there in Guatemala, especially since so many of you have expressed interest in what life will be like there. May our blog serve to help you have a vicarious international experience! :)

And, as they say on Dinosaur Train, "point of fact", where is Guatemala? Central America, despite popular belief that it is in South America. It's just south of Mexico and east of El Salvador. It is a beautiful country. Pictures will soon follow.

6 comments:

Brian and Ezinne's World said...

Congrats to you guys on baby number 3. What an adventure. I know the feeling of traving with the mini mes is overwhelming... at least I felt that with our move... but what an amazing experience for them to look back on one day.
We miss you guys!
Love Ezinne and Brian

ericksonzone said...

Have a good trip. What a great experience for you and John and your kids. Hopefully you won't be too sick with this next one...or are you already experiencing that? :)

arianne said...

This is so exciting!! I am super jealous. What a neat adventure for you and John and your kids. I visited Guatemala once in 2004 and have always wanted to go back to show Dave how beautiful the country and the people are. Good luck with the new baby (how exciting!) and keep up your blog so I can know what's going on for you.

Ashley said...

Congrats Bec! I'm due March 27th! So I hope everything will go well with the move and this next adventure. If anyone could handle 10 months in Guatemala with two and a half kids, you can. Love you!

museumeg said...

Good luck in Guatemala. What a dreadful friend I have been. We never got the kids together again before you left but I'm following your blog and we'll keep in touch. :)

The Pyper Fam said...

Woo-Hoo! That is so exciting! :) Have fun in Guatemala! I can't to hear about your fun adventures there! Keep us posted, I think I became a follower so I could be sure to get the updates! Love you guys!