http://www.gadgetsdna.com/10-revolutionary-ipad-apps-to-help-autistic-children/5522/
Depending on how severely autistic your child is, all or only a few would help your child. I particularly like the one where you can create story boards and visual schedules (iCommunicate, I think). I'm going to try this out on my iPod Touch and hopefully that will work. Having visual schedules for Lucy is amazingly helpful and reduces her tantrums/meltdowns a lot.
In fact visual schedules are really helpful for any child, I think. Levi likes them too. Especially if you have a child who if feeling very rebellious about accepting any suggestions you have for your daily schedule. It's like they take it so much better from a little board with a picture of "clean up" than from you saying, "let's clean up". ...I'm sure none of you have ever experienced a preschooler/toddler who doesn't want to help clean up the mess they made! ;)
UPDATE: So the app I ended up getting was Stories2Learn (iCommunicate was $40 and I already have a visual chart that I made by hand, so I couldn't justify that right now). Stories2Learn creates social stories. It's not bug free but is totally worth the $14 I spent on it. What is a social story, you may be wondering? Basically it's a story that features your child as the main character and teaches the child whatever social skill they may be missing (such as turn taking, eye contact, etc) or it can prepare them for big changes (i.e. having a new baby, moving back to NY, etc). So I just created one for Lu to prepare for the baby and all the moving around we'll be doing once the baby arrives and she loves it. It's something that's worth trying if you have a child who has a hard time with change or is doing something that you really don't want them to do anymore. If you're interested you can google create social story and I'm sure you could get great instructions on it.
2 comments:
That sounds like it would be very effective in teaching the kids and at the same time, they would enjoy it. Love You, Mom
Jonah uses an iPad at school! He loves it! We have been hoping to get one ourselves when the money is right.
We also have a visual schedule! It has helped a lot in getting jojo to do things he doesn't necessarily want to do-- he will still fuss about it, but he'll do it!
Post a Comment